Sunday, September 25, 2011

Less than a Week Left on East Campus

We’re scheduled to move this Thursday. It’s so surreal at this point.  Wednesday I’ll leave IMT-E for the last time (at least as far as I know at this point) come Friday I’ll arrive at my new office at 680.  I’m excited to have a  real office complete with a DOOR, but leaving East will be hard.

I think one of the things I’ll miss most about life on East Campus, is the students. The past few years I’ve had the opportunity to be more involved with the our student workers in Student Services. I love hanging out in the tech office getting to know the students and trying to be there if they need the support. They are young and energetic and have a wonderful outlook on life. Of course more than once they’ve reminded me I’m old. 

I will also miss the beauty of East Campus.  The rose garden, the fish pond by the Wynn building, the trees, the grass, the smell of barbq!  OK, that’s a relative new thing on campus and although I haven’t eaten there yet, it smells so good!

One memory that comes to mind were the potlucks in the business office, the business office that was located where the School of Music now sits.  It was in the business office where I made friends with Vicki at one of those potlucks. She has become one of my dearest friends. There have been so many others.  Some I’m still in touch with, many who have dropped off the radar. 

It was in the second business office where I would bring baby Timmy so all the ladies could oh and ah over him. While John and Dave would give their “courtesy” “Oh’s” and “AH’s”.  Of course, one of the coolest moment was when we all turned and saw Dave holding little Timmy.  I would have given anything to have had a camera to capture that moment.  It’s a memory that I’ve always treasured (kind of like the person!).

One of the hardest parts of this move is I won’t be able to drop in on Chad, Donavon, or Dave to lend a hand or just say “Hi.” I finally have a friend in Cornerstone who is keeping it stocked with Code Red Mountain Dew, thanks Molly! No more hiding in the bottom floor of Marshburn when life in the CUBE gets to be too much or reading a book down by the fish pond.

I am excited about the office, I’m actually excited about the door.  Change is always difficult but I’m sure I’ll adapt.

No comments: